Culture and Heritage

A. Tangible Heritage

San Isidro National High School

San Isidro National High School formerly came into existence during the school year 1970-1971 with the able leadership of some elementary teachers as part timers. Later, local officials initiated with its conversion from barangay to municipal high school where 65% of the salaries of teachers were taken from the tuition fees of the students and the remaining 35% of their salaries was subsidized by the national government. However, the school was supervised and monitored by the Public School District Supervisor (PSDS) of the district, as Principal designate.

Mrs. Bernabita M. Enhaynes donated a 0.917 hectares of her coconut land intended for construction of building for San Isidro National High School. It was Mrs. Elsie T. Mejong, the principal of San Isidro National High School as administrator based on the land parcel.

Republic Act 6655 is an act establishing and providing for a free public secondary education to all qualified citizens and promote quality education to all qualified citizens and promote quality Education to all levels. In school year 1993-1994, San Isidro NHS was nationalized. Teachers’ salaries and other fringe benefits were taken over by the national government including the release of MOOE (Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses)
Pursuance to DECS Order No. 2, series of 1997 entitled “Adopting an Empowerment Policy of the School Principal” which includes fiscal autonomy. San Isidro National High School was chosen as one of the five(5) Secondary School of Siargao Division as empowered school with the context of the empowerment policy.

Jose P. Rizal Monument

Rizal monument was built during leadership of a lady barangay captain Hon. Eutropia M. Peligro (1977-1980) in honor of our national hero Dr. Jose P. Rizal. At present, it is under the maintenance of the Local Government Unit of San Isidro. The surroundings are planted with flowers to make it more attractive. It is commonly called “Rizal Park” by the people.

B. Natural Heritage

The Battle at Masuyog San Isidro

In the World War II 1940-1945 Japanese ships sail in Masuyog Barangay Tigasao in defense of Pacific Coast Siargao. There were several Japanese soldiers hide along rocky cave. American Ship Mortared fired and hitted coastal stand rock where remains several holes along this area. When the outset of war the American flag stand symbolizing victory. The first settlement of the local tribes were inn this place until 1960, wherein the first Teñente del Barrio Julian L. Petallo resided, more traders and bartes from Bohol sail along the coast because no paved road available. Mobility of people were limited to trails toward the municipality of Numancia. The social services such as health, education, infra-accessibility were far, difficult, and prevalent to typhoon.

Blue Lagoon (Beto)

The Blue Lagoon ( Beto) is located at Barangay Buhing Calipay, San Isidro. It is 800 sq. meter perfectly carved in a circular shape surrounded by vast riceland. It is best for relaxation, sightseeing, research and bird watching. It is identified as a source of irrigation to the ricefields and potable water supply to the locality.

Sabang Beach

The Sabang Beach is located in between Pob. Del Carmen and Pacifico. The waves are relatively calm providing a good beach front for swimmers, divers and picnic lover. Most of our beaches are white sand but this one is rocky and it is safe for non swimmers. Some of the folks came here to wait fishermen to come so that they can buy fresh fish. Sometimes, they barter tuba with the catch fishes of the fishermen.

Alongside the Sabang Beach, we can enjoy tour in a cave. The beauty of
dazzling rocks formation inside the cave will amaze our moods how beautiful our nature. It is one of scenic place in Sabang
Beach that will capture the attention of the people especially to the nature lover.